From an Award Winning Distiller comes Bayou Select Aged Rum. Bayou Rum is one of the most widely distributed rums from Louisiana, receiving national recognition in 2016 for their Select Rum.
Bayou® Rum is craft distilled from locally grown sugarcane in Lacassine, Louisiana, USA. Our signature ‘sugarhouse’ recipe uses a blend of 100% natural, unrefined Louisiana sugarcane and molasses. Every batch of Bayou Rum is distilled in copper pots and bottled by hand.
Bayou Select is “The Rum for Bourbon drinkers”, matured in bourbon barrels for up to 3 years using the Solera aging method.
- Nation: Louisiana, USA
- Color: Burnt Orange
- Aroma: Apple pie (apples, vanilla, touch of cinnamon). Along with faint hints of caramel, orange spice, and maybe a little butterscotch.
- Flavor: Something a little tropical and spicy. Rough around the edges, but an ice cube calms everything down.
- Finish: Rough without ice. After ice, it’s a pleasant little sipper, but it’s young and not that layered yet.
- Notes: Reminds of what I was drinking in Cuba. I really enjoy it with coke and lime and it makes a fantastic daiquiri. Prices do vary, I’ve paid $37 for a bottle, and I’ve seen it as low as $28. I don’t think you’ll find a better aged Louisiana rum for about $30. It want’s to be a sipper and for that it will need a few more years, but I look forward to it. Honestly one of my favorites so far, and I can’t wait to try it after it’s had a bit longer to age.
- Rating: B-
Find it Locally:
By the Bottle:
- Rouse’s Market
- Robert Fresh Market
- Acquistapace’s Covington Supermarket
- It’s one of the more widely carried brands, but Select can be a little harder to find.
By the Glass:
- Olive or Twist
- Superior Grill
- Rum House
I do tastings with a wide mouth rocks glass with a slight taper because I like the way it feels in my hands. I start with 2oz, neat, then add an ice cube to bring out subtler flavors and aromas.